Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Automatic Recycling of Volumes problem.

2009-07-29 14:08:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Automatic Recycling of Volumes problem.
From: "Jayson Broughton" <jbroughton AT truecos DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:00:07 -0600

Alittle Background first:

Running ~75 Clients (Windows Bacula FD 3.0.1) on 5 Storage Daemons (Mix of Windows SD & Linux SD, 3.01) against Bacula-DIR of 3.0.1 & mySQL…..

Now that that’s out of the way…

I am attempting to Automatically recycle volumes after a certain date.  Out of the 5 Storage Daemons, only 1 of them is actually recycling the volume after 2 weeks.  The other’s seem to keep adding more and more volumes as time goes on.  Sometimes the Volumes to recycle (list nextvol on random clients shows use of a volume that’s already full and ready to be recycled.).  The problem that I am running into is that our Storage server (writing to disk) freespace is getting smaller and smaller every day due to the volumes that are not recycling properly.  Eventually I give in, check old dates on the volume and manually purge/delete the volume in order to keep the space down.  I have finally gotten fed up with this, and asking for your help.

I have some Volumes on the one that is not working, all the way back to the 7th of this month, that are full.  Set to recycleable after 5 days, etc.  Like I said, some recycle, most become new volumes and fill up the drive.

Below is some of my configuration.  #1 is for the SD/Pool/jobdef/etc that is working and recycling properly, #2 is not working. (xxx’s to protect the innocent)

Bacula-dir.conf

Storage {

  Name = laurel-sd

  Address = 192.168.xx.xx

  SDPort = 9103

  Password = "xxxxxx"

  Device = laurel-storage

  Media type = laurel

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10

}

Storage {

  Name = IT

  Address = 10.0.xxx.xx

  SDPort = 9103

  Password = "xxxxxx"

  Device = IT

  Media Type = IT

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10

}

Bacula-sd.conf

Device {

  Name = laurel-storage

  Media Type = laurel

  Archive Device = "C:/BACKUP"

  LabelMedia = yes

  Random Access = yes

  AutomaticMount = yes

  RemovableMedia = no

  AlwaysOpen = no

}

Device {

  Name = IT

  Archive Device = /media/snapserver/IT

  Media Type = IT

  LabelMedia = yes

  Random Access = yes

  AutomaticMount = yes

  RemovableMedia = no

  AlwaysOpen = no

  Device Type = File

}

Pool Definitions

Pool {

  Name = "laurel"

  Maximum Volumes = 0

  Pool Type = Backup

  Storage = laurel-sd

  Maximum Volume Bytes = 2147483648

  Volume Use Duration = 14 days

  Catalog Files = yes

  Auto Prune = yes

  Volume Retention = 14 days

  Recycle = yes

  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes

  Recycle Current Volume = no

  Purge Oldest Volume = yes

  Label Format = "LA"

}

Pool {

  Name = "IT"

  Maximum Volumes = 0

  Pool Type = Backup

  Storage = IT

  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1

  Maximum Volume Files = 0

  Maximum Volume Bytes = 2147483648

  Volume Use Duration = 5 days

  Catalog Files = yes

  Auto Prune = yes

  Volume Retention = 5 days

  Recycle = yes

  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes

  Recycle Current Volume = no

 Purge Oldest Volume = yes

  Label Format = "IT"

}

Job Definitions

JobDefs {

  Name = laureljob

  Enabled = yes

  Type = Backup

  Messages = Standard

  Pool = laurel

  Schedule = "Laurel-Client Backup"

  Storage = laurel-sd

  Prefer Mounted Volumes = No

  Prune Jobs = no

  Rerun Failed Levels = yes

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4

  Reschedule On Error = yes

  Reschedule Interval = 3 hours

  Reschedule Times = 3

  Priority = 8

}

JobDefs {

  Name = ITjob

  Enabled = yes

  Type = Backup

  Messages = Standard

  Pool = IT

  Schedule = "IT-Client Backup"

  Storage = IT

  Prefer Mounted Volumes = No

  Prune Jobs = no

  Rerun Failed Levels = yes

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4

  Reschedule On Error = yes

  Reschedule Interval = 30 minutes

  Reschedule Times = 6

  Priority = 8

}

Jayson Broughton

Linux Systems Administrator

Computer Services

True Oil LLC

The information in this electronic mail message and any attached files is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, delete this message and contact the sender immediately. Access to this message by anyone other than its intended recipient is unauthorized. You must not use or disseminate this information as it is proprietary property of the True companies. Communications on or through the True companies' computer systems may be monitored or recorded to secure effective system operation and for other lawful purposes. Thank you.