Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula 2.4.4 backup error

2009-07-07 02:38:05
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.4.4 backup error
From: Thomas Kempf <listen AT hueper DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:13:43 +0200
hello,
i've got some problems with bacula 2.4.4. on Debian Lenny and postgresql
8.3. Basically I'm facing the problem with postgresql discarding the
complete batch insert after a job because there are some invalid utf8
byte-sequences in it. There were already some discussions on this
subject with the proposal to dump the db and to reload it with encoding
SQL_ASCII which is what i did. This did not solve my problem. The backup
of some machines still produces this annoying error. Now i have two
questions.

1. Why does bacula send me messages with the backup status of ok for
those machines instead of telling me at least, that the batch copy
failed. IMO there should be at least a warning that attribute despooling
failed.

2. How can i solve that problem. There is nothing in the bacula logs and
the db-log just tells me that the batch insert failed at line xyz. But
as the attribute spool-file is deleted after the job, i can't look which
file produces the error. Is it something which is adressed in bacula v3.
If so, i would take the pain and upgrade by self-compiling the new
bacula instead of taking the deb-packages.

I'd be really glad, if someone could show me the right way to a solution
of my problems.

Greetings
Tom