Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: How to prevent two clients to run at the same time

2009-06-26 05:36:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: How to prevent two clients to run at the same time
From: C.Keschnat AT internet-mit-iQ DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:31:00 +0200
Frank Altpeter <frank.altpeter AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 26.06.2009 11:20:06:

> Frank Altpeter <frank.altpeter AT gmail DOT com>

> 26.06.2009 11:20
>
> An

> C.Keschnat AT internet-mit-iq DOT de

> Kopie

> Thema

> Re: [Bacula-users] How to prevent two clients to run at the same time

> Hi again,
>
> 2009/6/22 Frank Altpeter <frank.altpeter AT gmail DOT com>:
> > 2009/6/22  <C.Keschnat AT internet-mit-iq DOT de>:
> >> You could just give one server a lower priority. It would then
> run after all
> >> other Jobs. The default is 10 (11 for the catalog), so Priority =12 in the
> >> Job Resource will make it run later.
> >
> > Hmm, this sounds indeed like a good idea. I just set up an additional
> > Schedule definition for only these two clients, with priority set to
> > 12 and 13, and will see if it's doing as expected on the next
> > scheduled run. Thanks for the suggestion :)
>
> After some testing different settings I'm quite confused with
> Schedules and Priority settings. The current setting is defined with
> two schedules. The first Schedule is run on 00:23 and contains the two
> systems that are to be saved after each other. So they have got their
> own schedule and each of them as another priority (as output by status
> console):
>
> Scheduled Jobs:
> Level          Type     Pri  Scheduled          Name               Volume
> ===================================================================================
> Incremental    Backup    11  27-Jun-09 00:23
> hostname.domainname.tld hostname.domainname.tld-Default-0328
> Incremental    Backup    12  27-Jun-09 00:23
> secondhostname.domainname.tld
> secondhostname.domainname.tld-Default-0331
>
> The other 93 jobs are defined with a second schedule at 00:30 and priority 10.
>
> Incremental    Backup    10  27-Jun-09 00:30    thirdhost.domain.tld
> thirdhost.host.tld-Default-0806
> Incremental    Backup    10  27-Jun-09 00:30    fourthhost.domain.tld
>  fourthhost.domain.tld-Default-0081
> [...]
>
> I _thought_, that this should work when the low-prio jobs are started
> before the default-prio jobs. But the reality is confusing me. My prio
> 11 job was finished at 00:27, and - as expected - the prio 12 job has
> been started at 00:27. But, this job finished on 01:02, and all the
> other prio 10 jobs - which should have been started by schedule on
> 00:30 - have been started at 01:02 ... and I don't have an idea why...

This is because unless specified otherwise, no jobs with different priorities will run at the same time. To avoid that (from the documentation):
Allow Mixed Priority = <yes|no>
This directive is only implemented in version 2.5 and later. When set to yes (default no), this job may run even if lower priority jobs are already running. This means a high priority job will not have to wait for other jobs to finish before starting. The scheduler will only mix priorities when all running jobs have this set to true.

Note that only higher priority jobs will start early. Suppose the director will allow two concurrent jobs, and that two jobs with priority 10 are running, with two more in the queue. If a job with priority 5 is added to the queue, it will be run as soon as one of the running jobs finishes. However, new priority 10 jobs will not be run until the priority 5 job has finished.

That means, in your current setup, you could just set Allow Mixed Priority to yes. Then the job with prio 11 will run at 0:23, the job with prio 12 will wait. Then at 0:30 the other jobs will run because their priority is higher than the one from the running job. The Job with priority 12 will wait untill ALL jobs are finished, unless the job with prio 11 finishes before 0:30. This is because with mixed priority, high priority jobs can start running when low priority jobs run, but low priority jobs cannot start when high priority jobs run.