Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] How to prevent two clients to run at the same time

2009-06-22 04:48:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] How to prevent two clients to run at the same time
From: Frank Altpeter <frank.altpeter AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:44:53 +0200
Hi list,

I'm running a bacula server with almost 100 clients on it. For
historical and data saving reasons, each client has its own block of
Client, Job, Storage, and Pool definition (based on client's
fqdn).Data is saved to disk, and then, by external scripts, rotated to
tape. According the current configuration, all clients are started via
one Schedule on the same time and bacula is managing the run based on
a MaximumConcurrentJobs set to 12, which runs fine so far.
But, there's two clients, which I need to configure in a way, that
it's impossible for them to run simultaneously. The one client is a
vmware host system, and the other client is a vmware guest system on
this host. And sometimes it happens that they both run in parallel
which takes down performance on both systems.
Because of the current structure, I'm not able to just define a
dedicated Pool resource for these two clients and put a
MaximumConcurrentJobs=1 into it (which AFAIK would be the easiest
solution for default environments). So I'm searching for alternative
solutions for my problem, which is not "start client a on 16:00 and
client b 12 hours later"  :)

Any hints for funny solutions welcome :)

Besides that, wouldn't it a good point to have the
MaximumConcurrentJobs config option also for the Schedule resource ?

--
Le deagh dhùraghd,

        Frank Altpeter

There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.
    -- Buddha