Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: server on windows, trying to backup to hard drive

2009-06-07 23:59:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: server on windows, trying to backup to hard drive
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 23:56:29 -0400

> I’ve installed the 32 bit bacula on x64 windows (because it’s the server).
> First thing I had to do was run make-tables.cmd in order to get the director
> service to start. Then without modifying the conf files at all,

Generally on most distributions and installations you must modify the
.conf files before you start bacula because they tend to be generic
and do not match your hardware and paths.

> I get this
> status message for the storage service:
>

> Device "FileStorage" (C:\Tmp) is not open

This is normal. When file storage is not in use it is not open.

> Even though C:\Tmp exists. Actually, I’ve done a lot of modifying/tweaking
> of conf files (not to mention googling and reading of the docs) to try to
> get this working in my environment and never could, so I’m starting over
> from a known simple state (I uninstalled and reinstalled).
>

> So this is certainly my first hurdle – getting the storage service to be
> happy about the File device type (ultimately I’ll be backing up to an
> external hard drive).
>

> I understand that running the server on windows is not officially supported,
> and I imagine that running it on x64 windows (server 2003 x64 to be precise)
> may be double trouble. So are people able to get the server running under
> x64 windows? And if so, how do I get past this storage service problem?

I am running my backups under linux so I can not help you with that question.

John

--
John M. Drescher