Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] server on windows, trying to backup to hard drive

2009-06-07 23:44:12
Subject: [Bacula-users] server on windows, trying to backup to hard drive
From: Jeff Shanholtz <jeffsubs AT shanholtz DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 17:29:26 -0700

I’m new to bacula so please bear with me.

I’ve installed the 32 bit bacula on x64 windows (because it’s the server). First thing I had to do was run make-tables.cmd in order to get the director service to start. Then without modifying the conf files at all, I get this status message for the storage service:

Device "FileStorage" (C:\Tmp) is not open

Even though C:\Tmp exists. Actually, I’ve done a lot of modifying/tweaking of conf files (not to mention googling and reading of the docs) to try to get this working in my environment and never could, so I’m starting over from a known simple state (I uninstalled and reinstalled).

So this is certainly my first hurdle – getting the storage service to be happy about the File device type (ultimately I’ll be backing up to an external hard drive).

I understand that running the server on windows is not officially supported, and I imagine that running it on x64 windows (server 2003 x64 to be precise) may be double trouble. So are people able to get the server running under x64 windows? And if so, how do I get past this storage service problem?