Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] run full backup in bconsole but it runs incremental after one full?

2009-05-27 10:50:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] run full backup in bconsole but it runs incremental after one full?
From: John Lockard <jlockard AT umich DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 10:46:44 -0400
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:11:28PM -0500, Zhengquan Zhang wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 02:12:13PM -0400, John Lockard wrote:
> > When you run a job by hand the schedule isn't involved.
> > Either way, for your "Schedule" entry you need "Level="
> > before the work "Full".
> >
> >  Schedule {
> >    Name = "test"
> >    Run = Level=Full at 11:50
> >  }
>
> Thank John for pointing out this, I searched the documentation and it
> should be like what you said. But I wonder why bacula does not give me
> an error or warning when I did not get the config correct.
>

> > But, your problem is that your Job doesn't have a Default
> > Level defined.  You'll need something like this:
> >
> >  Job {
> >    Name = "job_backup1"
> >    Type = Backup
> >    Level = Full
> >    .
> >    .
> >  }
>
> I don't understand the point of a default backup level. Since after all
> I will set the levels explicitly in the schedule resources. Is there
> some exceptional case when a default bacckup level is useful?

The point of the default backup level is for when you need to
run a job by hand from the console.

If you don't run anything other than Fulls (for example), you
can just define the backup level in one place.  If you run
multiple levels, you set those in the schedule, but you set
the default level in the Job, so that on the occasion you need
to run a job manually, it will select a certain level of job.

In your case, it sounds like you are most interested in
running incremental jobs by hand, so setting the default
level to "Incremental" makes the most sense.  In my case,
I'm generally not as worried about Incremental jobs as I am
about the failure of a Full, so my default level is "Full".

-John

--
"The negative is comparable to the composer's score and the print
 to its performance. Each performance differs in subtle ways."