Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] job date detection

2009-05-05 09:25:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] job date detection
From: Olaf Zevenboom <olaf AT artefact DOT nl>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 15:19:42 +0200
Hi list,

I use a script in a RunBeforeJob script to check the date so I can check
if it's a holiday or not and thus if a backup should run or not.
The backup consists of 3 jobs: backup, verify, backup catalog & unmount
& rewind & eject & mount
All jobs are scheduled 5 minutes after each other and wait till the
previous one finishes.
This worked fine as long as the last job got executed before 00.00, but
now as the fileset size has grown it starts a little after 00.00/24.00
and therefor the check on the systemdate is no longer accurate and gives
me some issues.

April 30th was a Thursday. So the Wednesday jobs of April 29th should
execute and the jobs of the 30th not. Fridays are in a separate pool.
This is not what happened. Instead:
The backup job and verify job started on April 29th. The backup-catalog
etc job did not. Tape was not ejected.

When checking with bconsole I got a ton of messages from verify jobs
(yes, multiple from various days!) resulting in bconsole to hang at a
certain point while spittiong out messages. I know I have an issue with
verify jobs (resulting in very large messages on which I posted
questions before) but I never got messagedumps on multiple verify
messages and never resulting in bconsole hanging. Hundreds of jobs
executed fine.

Back to the first issue:
As during the check bconsole hang and the tape was not released I
decided to restart Director and SD and manually rewind & eject the tape.
The next Monday this resulted in Bacula wanting the Wednesday volume and
not the Monday volume. I fixed this.

So my questions would be:
1. I fail to see in the manual how I can detect the job
execution/scheduled date to pass that as a parameter to my script as the
system date clearly is no longer accurate enough. There is a %s (since)
variable, but it's format is not documented (or I overlooked it).
2. How do I get multiple verify job messages being dumped to/in
bconsole? They are normally emailed to 3 addresses (being aliases to a
single address)  with one of them not accepting the email as it  has
grown too big, but that should be a MTA issue and should not affect
Bacula I think.
3. Is the hanging of bconsole a (known) bug?

Thanks in advance,
Olaf

PS
Can anyone please supply me with a sample of a working verify job setup
which does verify that what is written to tape matches the catalog?