Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] [Fwd: bacula-dir 2.4.4 and bacula-fd 3.0.1 cannot communicate]

2009-05-04 17:48:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] [Fwd: bacula-dir 2.4.4 and bacula-fd 3.0.1 cannot communicate]
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 23:41:55 +0200
Hello Dan,

This is not at all surprising.

Any time one adds new features to a program having multiple components, it is
in general difficult to guarantee backwards compatibility with older
components.  That said, we always try to ensure when upgrading to a new
version of Bacula that is not necessary to upgrade all the clients (File
daemons) at the same time as there may be many of them.

However we have never attempted to maintain compatibility between new clients
and old Directors/Storage daemons, though in some rare cases it may work.  It
just is not a combination that makes much sense to try to support.

Regards,

Kern