Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] backup plan for critique

2009-05-04 10:47:26
Subject: [Bacula-users] backup plan for critique
From: Zhengquan Zhang <zhang.zhengquan AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:41:30 -0500
Hello bacula community,

I am a newbie to bacula and backup but I have decided to use it for our
backup scheme:) we will backup two servers to a backup server.

I have got a few questions that I have not figured out the answer.

1.why does bacula use db as backend? why add additional this level of
complexity to the backup?

2. the folders I would like to backup are

monk

/home 79G

/etc

/srv/bitten 2G

/srv/www 23G

/srv/pub 32G

/srv/svnrepos 2G

/srv/trac 1.5G

/var 2G

total 160G

ccl

/home 19G // everyone's public_html and .maildir directory

/home/httpd 43G

/etc

/usr1 83G //including mailman and postgresql database

/var 8G

/Public 115G

/usr/local/cvsroot 3G
total  200G

I have got two 1T drive for raid1. so I have 1T space.

 considering the size of my drive, what would be a reasonable back
scheme? How frequently should I do the full backup and how frequently
should I do the incremental backup?

3. How large would the db grow if for example I do a full backup of the
above contents? Does bacula compress the contents?

Thanks for any suggestions and I am open to reading documents.

--
Zhengquan