Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups

2009-04-28 01:42:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT myunix DOT dk>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:36:47 +0200
Dan Langille wrote:

>Henrik Johansen wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have some questions regarding disk based backups that I hope some of you
>> could answer for me. I am currently managing 100+ UNIX systems that are
>> backed
>> up using a variety of scripts which I really would like to replace with
>> something
>> solid, flexible, scalable and easy to manage.
>>
>> Bacula seems to be heavily centralized around tape and my head hurts a bit
>> from
>> trying to figure out how to do efficient disk baseed backup for 100+ clients
>> without
>> shooting myself in the foot :)
>
>Why do you conclude it is highly centralized around tape?

I am not concluding anything? When going through the manual I found that
a lot was written about tape and less about disk, hence it *seems* more
about tape then disk - at least to me.

>> All our UNIX boxes follow a 3 week rotation with 1 full backup every week
>> and
>> incrementals in between but I would like to be able to change this on a per
>> client basis.
>
>You can.
>
>> My plan is to have a redundant pair of directors and 3 storage daemons
>> running
>> off 3 seperat Solaris ZFS backends.
>
>What will you do with the two directors?  Will both be active?

Depends. I will start with an active / passive configuration and go from there.

>> What combo of pools / volumes do people recommend ? A pool per client ? A
>> pool per
>> backup type, eg. full, diff, incr ? Seperate volumes per client perhaps ?
>
>It depends upon your goals.  Do you want to do concurrent backups?  How
>much data will you be storing at a given time?

Yes, concurrent backups is a must. Well, our UNIX boxes eat ~2 TB each week.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen
henrik AT myunix DOT dk