Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups

2009-04-27 15:56:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT myunix DOT dk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:39:06 +0200
Hi list,

I have some questions regarding disk based backups that I hope some of you
could answer for me. I am currently managing 100+ UNIX systems that are backed
up using a variety of scripts which I really would like to replace with
something
solid, flexible, scalable and easy to manage.

Bacula seems to be heavily centralized around tape and my head hurts a bit from
trying to figure out how to do efficient disk based backup for 100+ clients
without
shooting myself in the foot :)

All our UNIX boxes follow a 3 week rotation with 1 full backup every week and
incrementals in between but I would like to be able to change this on a per
client basis.

My plan is to have a redundant pair of directors and 3 storage daemons running
off 3 seperat Solaris ZFS backends.

What combo of pools / volumes do people recommend ? A pool per client ? A pool
per
backup type, eg. full, diff, incr ? Seperate volumes per client perhaps ?

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen
henrik AT myunix DOT dk