Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape

2009-04-27 12:18:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape
From: Steven Palm <n9yty AT n9yty DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:49:14 -0500
Hi!

I'm new here, so be gentle. :) I work for a non-profit with a mix of
Windows, Mac OS X and Linux servers/desktops/laptops. As our needs and
equipment base has grown, backups have always been somewhat
problematic once we got past a few central file repositories.

We had purchased a bruApp system quite some time ago, and quite
honestly, it has been a thorn in our side and has failed to live up to
the promises made when we purchased it. I won't go into all the gory
details here, but it became clear that we needed something else as I
am tired of dealing with it and the false hopes and promises made by
Tolis Group.

I am re-using that 1U server and the Exabyte Magnum 1x7 loader, and
looking for a new software backend to drive it.  I had looked at
Amanda, and just recently came across Bacula.  After much reading, I
think this surely CAN do everything we need, the question is HOW. :)

Two main questions right now:

  * I am also looking at BackupPC for our roving laptops, and to give
them a nice interface to retrieve files.  However, is there anywhere
documentation on how to effectively backup this "pool" via Bacula?
I've seen lots of references, but so far have found no examples. As
attractive as this is, if it turns out better to use Bacula all
around, I'm open to that as well.

  * I liked the basic BRU concept of backup to a stage disk and dump
to tape.  After reading about VBackup and Migration/Copy stuff, I
think that we could do a full backup and then incrementals (or
differentials? Not sure here) with occasional refreshes of the Full
backup.

  The notes on page 10 of the Concepts document talk about the Copy
job, and give a sample config, but I think part of it is missing...
It mentions a "Storage = vtl" without any storage definition.  I
suppose if I were familiar with bacula, I'd know what to put here, but
I do not.

  So, is there anyone who has this working who would care to share a
set of configs?  Backup via a Full backup every so often, doing
incrementals/differentials in between, and using VBackup/Migrare/Copy
to consolidate and keep a current "Full" backup that can be dumped to
tape?

  We also used to dump a nightly complete set to tape M-Th, and a
Weekly1-5 Friday tape, and then kept a Monthly tape for each month.  I
am looking at Pool definitions to accommodate that, but also am not
sure how that all fits with the above...

  The immense documentation of this project is a blessing, especially
in the open source world, but at the same time it makes the initial
learning curve quite high.  So I thank you for your consideration and
help.

  Steve