Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape

2009-04-27 13:54:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie: Disk-To-Disk-To-Tape
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:47:24 -0700
Steven Palm wrote:
>   * I am also looking at BackupPC for our roving laptops, and to give
> them a nice interface to retrieve files.  However, is there anywhere
> documentation on how to effectively backup this "pool" via Bacula?
> I've seen lots of references, but so far have found no examples. As
> attractive as this is, if it turns out better to use Bacula all
> around, I'm open to that as well.

This depends on your situation, of course, but I found that very often,
backing up workstations really isn't all that useful. Ideally, they
don't hold any data (because the data is stored on a server), and
backing up applications is problematic at best; they would usually need
to be reinstalled anyway. If you have a Windows domain environment
(regardless of whether it's on a Windows or Linux server), you can also
store desktop settings etc. on the server.

An actual Windows server (not a Linux server, though) also has a very
nice interface for retrieving old files.

Of course, that isn't always true; some workstations do hold important
data that isn't replicated anywhere else. So your mileage may vary.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.