Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula, s3,dvd,gpg exact sizes?

2009-04-20 12:53:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula, s3,dvd,gpg exact sizes?
From: "Joshua J. Kugler" <joshua AT eeinternet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:48:09 -0800
On Monday 20 April 2009, Lukasz Szybalski said something like:
> Hello,
> I am currently backing up to 10x25gb volumes, and I need to switch
> over to 5gb volumes so that I can upload them to amazon s3.

As someone who sync's volumes up to S3, I would recommend a much smaller
volume size, and to only use a volume for one backup.  Two reasons:
smaller files mean you don't have to upload so much again if an upload
fails, and if you only use one backup per volume, then you don't have
to upload data again the next time a volume is updated.   S3 is "whole
file," and you can't do rsync style uploads to S3.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE