Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Howto recover from a job being rerun around a summer time change

2009-04-07 11:10:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Howto recover from a job being rerun around a summer time change
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 16:56:46 +0200
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 23:38:38 +0200, John Lockard <jlockard AT umich DOT edu>
wrote:

> The time jumps at 2am, either forward or backward depending on
> whether you're switching to or from DST.  Most admins I know
> just completely avoid the time period from 1:00am to 3:00am.
> entirely because of the Daylight Saving Time switches.

Seriously? Usually you can work around them, 2 hours lost of every day for
all kinds of stuff is a major issue. We have routines in place to
compensate wherever this is an issue (like automatically adjusting awstats
config variables twice a year for looking at IIS logs).

> If you're going to go UTC, then you should go UTC all the way
> and not worry about what local time.

If it's done properly you shouldn't care whether the server is set to UTC
or not, an application should be perfectly capable of using local time and
computing UTC internally and/or externally (such as logging) without user
intervention. If anything it's not done because developers have better
things to do (read are lazy :) - or in the case of Microsoft, well, fill
in your favourite expletives.

Normally that's not a problem, but for something like a scheduler which
has obvious issues with times jumping back and forward there is no excuse.