Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Howto recover from a job being rerun around a summer time change

2009-04-06 11:37:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Howto recover from a job being rerun around a summer time change
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:34:09 +0200
On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 09:29:48 +0200, Kevin Keane <subscription AT kkeane DOT
com>
wrote:

> Mark V wrote:
>> Two questions:
>> Q1) Am I going mad or is it possible for bat to show an error that
>> does not show in the bacula log file?
>>
> I don't know

I've seen Bat hijack output away from an open bconsole, though I'm not
sure whether this would also prevent output from appearing in the log. If
so, I would consider it a bug. This might not be a problem if the
concurrent connection limit is increased.

> I can see several options:

Excluding a fair chunk of backup prime time every night is silly.
Scheduling/scripting around the specific dates for everything is too
laborious and error prone. Fixing it by hand later is a pain if you deal
with a lot of backups.

Setting the server to UTC seems the best option, except for something like
Windows, which always expects the RTC to be local. We have a lot of dumb
*IX apps that simply assume local time too, unfortunately.

The best solution would be for Bacula to translate time to UTC internally
for scheduling, everything external such as logfiles, scheduling stanzas
in config etc. would remain in the user's locale.

Until then maybe you can combine canceling the job with a scripted check
for date.