Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Retention periods

2009-04-03 09:44:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Retention periods
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:31:11 -0400
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de>
wrote:
> Am Thursday 02 April 2009 22:13:41 schrieb John Drescher:
>> > File Retention = 30 days
>> > Job Retention = 6 months
>> > Volume Retention = 1 year
>>
>> Fine. After 30 days you will either only be able to do a full restore
>> or have to use bscan before restoring.
>
> Correct.
>

>> > Then am I correct in thinking that when I back up my catalog, I should
>> > only keep it for 6 months?
>>
>> Most likely a lot shorter than that. The point is you want to do a
>> catalog backup daily to protect you from database corruption or loss.
>> I am sure you will spot a problem before 6 months elapses. The longest
>> I have gone back was 1 week.
>
> That's weird. And I thought I had serious database issues! :) Of course I am
> running a daily db-backup, wouldn't want to live without it, but other than
> for a backup gone wrong I had never had to recover the bacula database in the
> last year and a half.

My database server is on a different box than the director as it
always has been. For the one time I recovered the database (in 5
years) the problem was caused by bad hardware on the database server
which made the normal methods of database corruption fixing not work.
However bacula was still running jobs with the corrupted database for
a week. After I spotted the problem. I used bscan to and a bootstrap
file to recover a good posgresql dump to yet a different server and
after I got the database back up and running I had to bscan  all
volumes that were used in that week to add their records to the
database. I got lucky in that no volumes were recycled during this
time so this was a matter of putting the last volume from each pool in
the drive and running bscan on that.

John

--
John M. Drescher