Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] don't compress files only in my PC [was: Re: bacula not use all bandwidth of network]

2009-04-02 18:16:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] don't compress files only in my PC [was: Re: bacula not use all bandwidth of network]
From: Victor Hugo dos Santos <listas.vhs AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:11:16 -0400
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Victor Hugo dos Santos
<listas.vhs AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Victor Hugo dos Santos
> <listas.vhs AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Thomas Glatthor
>> <Thomas.Glatthor AT ic3s DOT de> wrote:
>>>

>> [...]
>>>
>>> have you ever tried without compression?
>>
>> well.. is true..
>> when I configure jobs to use compression, the time is very superior
>> and rate (rate=time / MB, I belive) is slow. :-(
>>
>> before, I had configured GZIP option as 9 and:
>>       time 03:55:40
>>       compression 88.7 %
>>       rate 1193.9 KB/s
>>
>> after I configure GZIP option as 7, and:
>>       time 01:28:18
>>       compression 87.9 %
>>       rate 3531.5 KB/s
>>
>> unhappily, I can't configure GZIP with lower value...
>> because I use HD in storages and space is very, very precious.
>
> one other question:
>
> I was looking, why my machine have a best rate/speed of all clients..
> and this is the answer:
>  Rate:                   8391.2 KB/s
>  Software Compression:   None
>
> but.. I have configured my PC like all other clients..
> how I can check "why" bacula don't compress data of my PC ??
> some debug option ??
>
> thanks again :D

well.. I update all bacula software (clients and servers) in my
network.. now, all have the same version.. but my problem persist.

I create a other FileSet in director that contain only the "/etc"
folder and running a backup of my machine, changed only fileset option
to backup "/etc" folder.. work fine the compresion

now.. I was reading  backup.c, bfile.c, attribs.c files and apparently
not is possible compress encrypted data (Obs.: I'm not a
programmer/developer !!!) and in my system (/home/ partition), I use
"encfs" to encrypt files !!! :-(

is true that bacula don't compress encrypted files or data ??
and in positive case, why ???

thanks

Victor Hugo dos Santos
Linux Counter #224399