Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention periods

2009-04-02 16:17:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention periods
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Ian Allison <ianfindlayallison AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:13:41 -0400
> File Retention = 30 days
> Job Retention = 6 months
> Volume Retention = 1 year

Fine. After 30 days you will either only be able to do a full restore
or have to use bscan before restoring.

> Then am I correct in thinking that when I back up my catalog, I should only
> keep it for 6 months?

Most likely a lot shorter than that. The point is you want to do a
catalog backup daily to protect you from database corruption or loss.
I am sure you will spot a problem before 6 months elapses. The longest
I have gone back was 1 week.

>My thinking being that the catalog itself contains 6
> months of Job records and is 6 months old, so keeping it for any longer is
> meaningless.
>
> Also, is it bad practice to store the catalog backups along with the
> filesystem backups themselves?

I put that on a different server / array than the database.

John