Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] mtx-changer loaded issues

2009-03-06 03:21:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] mtx-changer loaded issues
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:12:13 +0100
Hi,

05.03.2009 21:57, (private) HKS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm introducing a Dell Powervault 124T autochanger to my Bacula
> config, and am having a bit of trouble with the mtx-changer script.
>
> Bacula 2.2.8 on OpenBSD 4.4.

Hmm... OpenBSD is not something I'm very familiar with. IIRC, the tape
and autochanger interfaces behave a bit differently than what you see
under linux and solaris.

> The problem is that "mtx-changer /dev/ch0 loaded 0 /dev/nrst0 0" does
> not work as expected. Here's a quick cut/paste that shows what I mean.
> ----
> # chio status -v

Yup... you see, mtx-changer is supposed to use a generic SCSI
interface - /dev/sgX under linux - and it might be possible that the
/dev/chX interface works differently (under solaris this does not seem
  to be an issue, by the way).

There's a changer control script suitable for chio somewhere in the
Bacula distribution - you might try that.

> <...snip...>
> drive 0: <ACCESS,FULL> voltag: <000015L3:0>
> # ./mtx-changer /dev/ch0 loaded 0 /dev/nrst0 0
>
> # btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf 124T-Drive
> Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
> btape: butil.c:285 Using device: "124T-Drive" for writing.
> 05-Mar 15:49 btape JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0"
> command.
> 05-Mar 15:49 btape JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0",
> result: nothing loaded.
>
> ----
>
> The key seems to be that mtx-changer loaded is expecting a different
> format than my system is returning. I modified mtx-changer so I'm now
> getting the voltag when I check what's loaded, but now btape believes
> the voltag indicates the slot that's loaded (whatever that means):

Obviously the output format is different to what mtx-changer expects.

> ----
>
> # ./mtx-changer /dev/ch0 loaded 0 /dev/nrst0 0
> 000015L3
> # btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf 124T-Drive
> Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
> btape: butil.c:285 Using device: "124T-Drive" for writing.
> 05-Mar 15:52 btape JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0"
> command.
> 05-Mar 15:52 btape JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result
> is Slot 15.
>
> ----
>
> This causes issues because Bacula tries to unload the tape into slot
> 15, which is not the right slot. Also, my barcodes go higher, so
> there's going to be some weirdness when it tries to do this with a
> barcode number greater than the number of slots.
>
> What exactly is Bacula expecting from the mtx-changer loaded command?
> Is it supposed to be just a true-false value, an empty slot number,
> what?

The slot number where the tape came from (and which should be empty,
but that's not verified).

In your above output "voltag: <000015L3:0>" , guess the 0 behind the
colon is the slot. If that's the case, fixing mtx-changer to return
that number would not be too hard.

I don't have access to an OpenBSD box or some sample outputs from chio
/ mtx there, but I believe modifying mtx-changer to correctly use the
output generated there should be easy enough - if you know a bit about
awk or sed.

Arno

> Thanks for the help.
>
> -HKS