Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] FD Error On Backup

2009-03-06 03:12:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FD Error On Backup
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:05:25 +0100
Hi,

06.03.2009 06:11, Janco van der Merwe wrote:
> Isn't there a way that this

What?

Actually, I recall what you were talking about, but others might not -
which just proves that reasonable quoting is imortant :-)

> can be done manually?

If you're really sure the backup was ok (and everything seems to
indicate it was, unless you have important "Client Run After Job"
scripts), you could manually update the database record for that job.

> The problem that I have on
> my side is that according to the director the job failed but it picks up
> that there was data transfer and according to the FD the job was successful,
> now even though the DIR recons it was a failed job

Well, Bacula works according to the assumption that a TCP network
connection is stable. If the DIR can't get the FDs confirmation that
the job was ok, it, for safetys sake, just assumes it failed. Which is
better than the other way, though inconvenient in your case.

> the files are on the tape
> - now the question is how to get it off in a restore or how can I "import"
> the client status into the DIR so that I can restore those files?

You can always manually select a failed job to restore, but the
responsibility is yours then. For a full restore, that means you have
to run at least two restore jobs, but that shouldn't be too hard.

> Strangely these errors only occur on the Dell PE 2950 with MS Windows Server
> 2003 x86 and x64 but not on the Linux counter part with the same hardware -
> which brings to mind the age old question which is better at the end Linux
> or Windows?

Better... I don't think theres a generic, simple, and correct answer
to that question. In this case it seems to be obvious that the windows
network behaves differently than the Linux one, and perhaps violates
some RFC... the real reason for the problem could be some intermediate
router / firewall, though.

> In my mind there is actually no comparison, if I could I would
> go Linux all the way.

Actually, I wouldn't - on my desktop system, the OS simply doesn't
matter, so I use what the manufacturer preloaded, and in this case
that's windows. Getting a linux onto this notebook would surely be
possible, but it would be some hours of work which I prefer to use
differently. Hmm, thinking about it, some essential applications I use
are not available for linux or have no usable counterparts anyway, so
it seems I fell into the vendor lock-in trap :-)

Arno

> With regards,
>
> Janco van der Merwe
> Technical Manager