Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] mtx-changer loaded issues

2009-03-05 16:00:08
Subject: [Bacula-users] mtx-changer loaded issues
From: "(private) HKS" <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 15:57:22 -0500
Hello,

I'm introducing a Dell Powervault 124T autochanger to my Bacula
config, and am having a bit of trouble with the mtx-changer script.

Bacula 2.2.8 on OpenBSD 4.4.

The problem is that "mtx-changer /dev/ch0 loaded 0 /dev/nrst0 0" does
not work as expected. Here's a quick cut/paste that shows what I mean.
----
# chio status -v
<...snip...>
drive 0: <ACCESS,FULL> voltag: <000015L3:0>
# ./mtx-changer /dev/ch0 loaded 0 /dev/nrst0 0

# btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf 124T-Drive
Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
btape: butil.c:285 Using device: "124T-Drive" for writing.
05-Mar 15:49 btape JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
05-Mar 15:49 btape JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0",
result: nothing loaded.

----

The key seems to be that mtx-changer loaded is expecting a different
format than my system is returning. I modified mtx-changer so I'm now
getting the voltag when I check what's loaded, but now btape believes
the voltag indicates the slot that's loaded (whatever that means):
----

# ./mtx-changer /dev/ch0 loaded 0 /dev/nrst0 0
000015L3
# btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf 124T-Drive
Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
btape: butil.c:285 Using device: "124T-Drive" for writing.
05-Mar 15:52 btape JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
05-Mar 15:52 btape JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result
is Slot 15.

----

This causes issues because Bacula tries to unload the tape into slot
15, which is not the right slot. Also, my barcodes go higher, so
there's going to be some weirdness when it tries to do this with a
barcode number greater than the number of slots.

What exactly is Bacula expecting from the mtx-changer loaded command?
Is it supposed to be just a true-false value, an empty slot number,
what?

Thanks for the help.

-HKS