Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Perception of Bacula (was: products based on bacula)

2009-01-29 10:08:51
Subject: [Bacula-users] Perception of Bacula (was: products based on bacula)
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:06:07 +0100
Sorry, don't have the thread in my mail anymore, so new thread.

Today I got this snippet in the mail regarding permission to install
Bacula on a subcontractor's systems:

"Regarding `the count bacula', I need to escalate your request to my
colleagues in *** to see if it can co-exist with ***. I'll let you know."

Somehow that sounds ominous. Personally I appreciate the catchphrase's
humour, and apparently my counterpart above does too, but it also gives
the wrong impression regarding maturity (of the product) to his PHB.

If Bacula (or more importantly Bacula Systems) wants to be perceived as
professional, it needs to be acknowledged that engineering culture (read
humour) is not compatible with management/business culture. IMHO it's a
mistake to rely on the engineering layer's ability to sensibly filter this
to management, at least the 'sucks by night' catchphrase needlessly
complicates acceptance and has to go.