Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Implementation of running Job speed limit.

2009-01-29 10:08:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Implementation of running Job speed limit.
From: Alex F <alexxzell AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, Eric Bollengier <eric AT eb.homelinux DOT org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 07:06:15 -0800 (PST)
Hello Eric,

--- On Thu, 1/29/09, Eric Bollengier wrote:
This is already done by the OS (linux and freebsd) with a bit of
configuration, it's also possible to use a port forwarder to do the job.

 Yes, indeed it is already done by the OS. Let's narrow down the "problem" to Linux.
The only way (I have found) is limiting outgoing traffic.
This means that you have to go and set up limiting scripts on all the 50 clients I have spoke of earlier. (I am using cbq.init and it's sometimes working, others not).
This arises issues: reliability, time-consumption, access limitations, having to install other things besides Bacula's components etc.

The scenario is as follows:
Me, the backup server -> WAN <- 50 other clients.
As I only have full control on the backup server, limiting outgoing traffic on my side isn't helping me with anything.
         This feature will enable one to have full control of the way the client is transferring. As I stated above related to the fact that you can only limit outgoing traffic, this feature should probably be somehow implemented on the client side, the FD.
Consider having no other interaction with the client, besides the installation of the FD, wouldn't that be great? In terms of controlling him, the client of Bacula, he shouldn't even be in the picture.

> I don't think that it's a good idea to put this feature in bacula, you
> have so many options in this area....
>
> Bye

The request of this feature is exactly a last resort, having not found those so-many-features-in-this-area. And I don't know if you will believe me, but I have searched a lot, and found no decent way to achieve this.
In my opinion, this would be a very nice addition to the already powerful arsenal of Bacula.