Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Trying to use bpipe with 2.5.16-beta.

2009-01-23 05:25:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Trying to use bpipe with 2.5.16-beta.
From: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:23:38 +0000
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:01:31PM +0000, Graham Keeling wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 03:37:32PM +0000, Graham Keeling wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been trying out bacula-2.5.16-beta, and I've tried to use bpipe to
> > backup
> > my mysql database. I think that I have done everything right, having
> > followed
> > the instructions on this page...
> > http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/New_Features.html
> > ...but it doesn't want to work. Perhaps somebody can give me a hint?
> > (Incidentally, that web page mentions a 'bpipe-dir.so', as well as a
> > 'bpipe-fd.so', but I think that there is no 'bpipe-dir.so' - at least, I
> > can't find one)
> >
> > I set this in my fileset (in the director config), and test that the
> > mysqldump
> > command works when I run it from the command line:
> >
> > FileSet {
> >   Name = "$NAME"
> >   Include {
> >     Options {
> >       signature = MD5
> >       compression = GZIP9
> >     }
> >     File=/chroot/write/html
> >     (and some others...)
> >     Plugin = "bpipe:/var/spool/backup-out/MYSQLPIPE:mysqldump -f
> > --all-databases:mysql"
> > }
> >
> > I set this in the file daemon config:
> >
> > FileDaemon {
> >   Name = tserv.example.com-fd
> >   FDport = 9102
> >   WorkingDirectory = /var/lib/bacula
> >   Pid Directory = /var/run
> >   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
> >   PKI Signatures = Yes
> >   PKI Encryption = Yes
> >   PKI Keypair = "/etc/bacula/bacula-client-keys-base"
> >   Plugin Directory = "/etc/bacula/plugins"
> > }
> >
> > I make sure that 'bpipe-fd.so' is in /etc/bacula/plugins.
> > The permissions all look fine (the file daemon runs as root, so it should be
> > ok).
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23485 Dec  4 15:05 bpipe-fd.so
> >
> > I restart all the daemons and run my job from bconsole, which backs up all
> > my
> > files OK, but at the end, I get this message come out on bconsole...
> >
> > *bpipe-fd: plugin=bpipe fname=/MYSQL/regress.sql reader=mysqldump -f --opt
> > --databases bacula writer=mysql
> >
> > ...my log says this, and the Job finishes with status 'Error':
> >
> > Dec  4 15:25:09  bacula-dir: tserv.example.com-fd JobId 12: Fatal error:
> > Pipe read error: ERR=Success
> >
> > So. Any ideas?
>
> Has anybody else managed to use bpipe successfully?

I've now tried bpipe with bacula-2.5.28-b1, and I don't even get the error
anymore, though the backup reports 'Backup OK'. I've tried changing my
Plugin = "bpipe:..." line so that it has a nonsense command, and there is
still no error.
The run with the nonsense command backed up as much stuff as the proper
command When I revert to my old RunScripts, I can see that a lot more stuff
gets backed up than with my bpipe attempts. So it seems as if bpipe isn't
working at all.

I would like to know whether anybody else has managed to use bpipe
successfully.

(Later...) I see that one of the SVN regress tests makes a mention of bpipe,
so I will give that a go.