Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] products based on bacula

2009-01-23 05:23:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] products based on bacula
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 02:20:31 -0800
I've got to defend management here. IME, they DO ask for evaluations,
reports, executive summaries, the works. But they only ask it for the
short list of products after an initial culling, often only between the
two or three finalists. How many commercial enterprise backup systems
are there on the market? More than that, I'm sure.

That's where marketing matters. Marketing isn't about selling. It's
about getting on the short list. THEN you can let the product sell
itself on the merits.

Bacula has strengths and weaknesses in that area.

Strength: viral marketing. Those "in the know" - us - appreciate the
quality, and can work to get it onto the short list.
Strength: reasonable visibility within the Open Source community. I
discovered it because it had administration modules in webmin.
Weakness: the name and tag line. It doesn't matter when selling on the
merits, but it's a huge issue with getting on the short list.
Weakness: little known outside Open Source. That's a double-whammy since
many managers still tend to be skeptical of Open Source to begin with.
Weakness: no slick brochures, white papers, etc. When a manager asks his
employee "give me a short list of backup solutions", the employee will
start with google and download whitepapers and executive summaries. And,
no, the "What is Bacula" page does not count.

And let's also not forget: (most) managers aren't in the business of
promoting Open Source. They are in the business of solving their
business problems. Sometimes, Open Source is the answer, sometimes it isn't.

As a consultant, I advise many customers to buy Microsoft servers. I
personally prefer Linux servers, but for many situations, Windows really
is the better solution. I'm running a mix of both in my own office.

And I warn my customers of using OpenOffice.

But I point them to the Gimp for image manipulation.

I host their Web sites on LAMP.

etc. etc.

Ultimately, solving the problem matters - and licensing cost is only one
factor in the equation. Very often a minor one.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.