Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula dir work very slow with huge number of restore file

2009-01-23 06:15:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula dir work very slow with huge number of restore file
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 03:12:23 -0800
Just a thought: for the future, maybe splitting up the file set and
using several smaller backup jobs might help with this type of situation?

It's probably something that you can't always do, plus it may wreak
havoc with such things as snapshots.

Tomasz Gorny wrote:
> Hello All Bacula Users,
>
> I found that Bacula is very slow when restore action is used for large
> number of files to restore. This affect only director but is/can be a
> problem.
>
> I've to restore a backup with over 5'000'000 files inside. After mark
> and done actions I've been waiting over 10 hours to follow next steps.
> But I couldn't wait more. At least I've split this action for pieces to
> complete this. I've take a conclusion that file set about 1'000'00 takes
> about 3h to completion. Did you experienced this issue? How to
> solve/work around of this? Is it a bug (Denial of service for 10> hours
> waiting to dir will recalculate needed items)?
>
> BR
> Tomek
>
> Hardware configuration:
> 2xXeon, 6GB Ram, 15K SCSI disks, OS: CentOS 5.
> Bacula-dir : 2.4.2 i386 from rpm
> [root@xxx~]# md5sum  bacula-postgresql-2.4.2-1.el5.i386.rpm
> 63d38670e01d0fbcbd60f737297283f5  bacula-postgresql-2.4.2-1.el5.i386.rpm

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to Think About

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.