Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] products based on bacula

2009-01-19 20:02:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] products based on bacula
From: "Mag Gam" <magawake AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Ryan Novosielski" <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:00:21 -0500
I guess this is more of a marketing question....I meant no disrespect
for the product. Overall, it seems like a killer backup application.

> I would respectfully say that if a company is deciding what backup
> software to use based on the name of the software (Bacula isn't an
> overly silly name -- I could see if it were obscene or irrelevant),
> their priorities are a little bit out of whack.

I agree for the most part of what you said but when *we* (our team) is
competing with other teams in the firm to design and implement our
solution we also want management to take us seriously. Most of our MBA
management like names with acronyms..TSM **cough, cough**, versus
something a 10 year old would say to his sister, "baaaa-cula" . In
addition, choosing a produce named "Baucla" -- virtually unknown to
management --  against a known BUT expensive product could be a risky
move on their part, therefore I asked the initial question.

Personally, I like tools that get the job done, even if the name
sounds silly; heck I bet UNIX sounded silly in the early 70s, but it
takes years for the mainstream public to grasp it. Frankly, I don't
want to wait for a decade until the public realizes about baaa-cula
:-)

I was hoping there was something similar to EnterpriseDB:PostgreSQL or
JavaDB:Apache Derby. I know its shallow, but words mean a lot for
paper pushers :-(

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>