Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Anyway to do multi-core compression?

2009-01-22 18:44:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Anyway to do multi-core compression?
From: "Joshua J. Kugler" <joshua AT eeinternet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:41:31 -0900
On Thursday 22 January 2009, Wolfgang Denk said something like:
> In message <200901221238.33834.joshua AT eeinternet DOT com> you wrote:
> > Are there any pending plans to add a "multi core" option to the FD
> > to enable compression to happen on more than one core?  We have a
> > few eight-core servers that are rather idle during the backup
> > window, so it would be great to use more than one core for
> > compression.  Something like a Max Core direction for the FD would
> > be cool! :)
>
> Well, if such a thing gets implemented, it should be able to
> automatically pick up the number of cores on the current system (but
> of course with an option to overwrite that value).
>
> "getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN" (respective the equivalent C code) might
> be a good start.

Oh, I'm sure it could detect the number of cores, that wasn't my issue.
I was more concerned with making sure that the little bit of traffic we
would get during the backup window wouldn't timeout because it's using
all eight cores.  I'd probably use six of the eight cores for
compression.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com