Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Anyway to do multi-core compression?

2009-01-22 18:12:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Anyway to do multi-core compression?
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: "Joshua J. Kugler" <joshua AT eeinternet DOT com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:10:02 +0100
Dear "Joshua J. Kugler",

In message <200901221238.33834.joshua AT eeinternet DOT com> you wrote:
> Are there any pending plans to add a "multi core" option to the FD to
> enable compression to happen on more than one core?  We have a few
> eight-core servers that are rather idle during the backup window, so it
> would be great to use more than one core for compression.  Something
> like a Max Core direction for the FD would be cool! :)

Well, if such a thing gets implemented, it should be able to
automatically pick up the number of cores on the current system (but
of course with an option to overwrite that value).

"getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN" (respective the equivalent C code) might
be a good start.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
The IQ of the group is the lowest IQ of a member of the group divided
by the number of people in the group.