Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula giving slow speed

2009-01-14 16:00:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula giving slow speed
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Michael Galloway <mgx AT ornl DOT gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:57:44 -0500
On Jan 14, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Michael Galloway wrote:

> [...]

I usually advise against system level full backups.  I recommend a
proper
database backup.  For example, in PostgreSQL, this would involve running
pg_dump and creating a text file.  Or perhaps using PITR and backing
up the
WAL logs.

In all cases, ensure that whatever database backup you are doing can get
you back to a known good position.

>>> on the same file system that is being backed up. Since Bacula must
>>> write to
>>> its catalog database frequently during a backup, that would cause
>>> disk
>>> thrashing and greatly affect performance.
>>>

>> Exactly.
>>

> so, would it be considered a 'best practice' to have the catalog
> database server that is on
> a separate machine that the bacula server?

I don't have mine on a different server, but I may not be backing up
as much as you have.

I guess it depends.  It also depends on whether or not you run
concurrent jobs.  And if you
spool attributes, most of the database access occurs after the Volumes
have been written.

--
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/