Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula giving slow speed

2009-01-13 10:34:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula giving slow speed
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Holikar, Sachin (ext)" <sachin.holikar.ext AT siemens DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:30:40 -0500
> We are using Bacula to take the backups onto the Tape Library Fujitsu
> FibreCAT Tx48 Library.  The bacula version we are using is 2.2.7.

That is a old version. You will get better performance with the current release.

> Problem is we get very slow backup speed , around 50 GB per hour  whereas in
> ideal scenario the above mentioned tape library gives 288 GB / Hour transfer
> rate.
>
> We have performed the tests without using Bacula  and we got somewhat close
> to 200 GB/Hr transfer rate.
>
> Could you guys point us in right direction?

You need to run tests to find out what the bottleneck is. Do you have
your database on the same array as what you are backing up? Are you
using spooling? What database are you using? Is it indexed properly?
Is the machine you are backing up a modern machine (2GHz or better
with 2 or more cores and at least 2GB of memory)? Are you benchmarking
a Full backup?

John