Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] "Client Run After" on an "Admin" job

2009-01-11 22:04:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] "Client Run After" on an "Admin" job
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:01:55 -0500
James Harper wrote:
> I recently rebuilt my Xen server such that Bacula runs inside a Xen DomU
> ('guest') instead of in Dom0 ('host'). I left bacula-sd on the Dom0 for
> performance reasons (otherwise data would have to go into the DomU via
> the network and then out again via the virtual scsi bus).
>
> When bacula-dir and bacula-sd were both on Dom0 I could easily run an
> Admin job with "Run After" to run my eject.sh script. Now that bacula-sd
> is on a different virtual server I need to run eject.sh on that instead
> of the director. I was hoping to do it via an Admin job with "Client Run
> After Job" but an Admin job doesn't appear to actually connect to the
> client.

You've left out information.  I would have included job output details
so we can see the errors, messages, warnings, whatever happens.  :)

You would need to run this Admin job on the Client which is on the SD
box.  Are you doing this?

> Any suggestions?

Show us:

the Job resource (and any JobDefs that it uses)
the Client resource for that Job
The Storage resource
And perhaps the bacula-sd.conf
What version of Bacula you are using
Are all components on the same version?

> My eject script is:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> TAPEDEV=/dev/tape/by-path/pci-0000:01:08.0-scsi-0:0:6:0-nst-nst
> BCONSOLE=/sbin/bconsole
>
> echo "unmount storage=bitvs2-tape-sd" | $BCONSOLE -c
> /etc/bacula/bconsole.conf
> /bin/mt -f $TAPEDEV eject 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
> echo "mount storage=bitvs2-tape-sd" | $BCONSOLE -c
> /etc/bacula/bconsole.conf
>
> or in English:
>
> . connect to the director remotely and unmount
> . eject the tape
> . connect to the director remotely and mount (there is no tape in there
> at this point so the mount fails, but it is requires so that the tape
> will be used next time it is accessed)

OK.  Understood.

> I could do it the other way around and issue an ssh command to eject (or
> use rmt maybe?) but it seems that there must be a better way...

ssh might be feasible, but lets look at that after we see the client
output job...