Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] possible feature request - eject job

2009-01-12 04:56:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] possible feature request - eject job
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:53:23 +0100
Hi,

12.01.2009 00:04, James Harper wrote:
> I'm not sure exactly what form this should take so this is a discussion
> and not an actual feature request...

Sure... no problem. We'll see if it evolves into a feature request by
this discussion...

> Basically I need to be able to run a job to eject the tape. Under some
> configurations this works as an Admin job but when the sd is not on the
> same machine as the dir it is less easy. It can be fiddled around via
> the use of ssh but I think this is cumbersome (to the point where I'd
> rather code one of the following solutions myself than try and implement
> it :)
>
> So... I have a few ideas about how this could work:
>
> 1. "Storage Run After Job". This doesn't exist afaik and could be a nice
> solution in that it might be useful for other things than just ejecting
> a tape. It doesn't take care of the unmount and mount required for the
> eject operation though.
>
> 2. "Type = Eject" job. This would be a new job type in the director and
> modifications to the sd to implement it. The actual eject operation
> could be a command line (eg 'Eject Command = "/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0
> eject"') if that makes things more useful.

I've got one other idea how to solve this:

Create a new command (class) for storage devices: 'move storage=xxx
[drive=N] unload[ slot=N ] | eject | transfer from=N to=N' or
something. Basically, add much of the functionality mt and mtx offer
to the SD interface.

Some of those commands (namely unload, transfer) COULD be implemented
in mtx-changer for autochangers, eject would be a direct type-drive
operation.

> I like the second option better... Kern: If you got a patch that
> implemented an Eject job would you think about accepting it?

As Dan pointed out, Kern does not read here... but let's see if we can
come up with something more complete for him to review :-)

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann