Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] messages configuration

2009-01-03 15:43:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] messages configuration
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Thomas <thomas AT ic3s DOT de>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 15:40:15 -0500
Thomas wrote:

Please do not top post.  See below.

> Dan Langille schrieb:
>> Thomas wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> i have this messages configuration
>>>
>>> Messages {
>>>   Name = Standard
>>>   mailcommand = "/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f \"\(Bacula\) %r\" -s
>>> \"Bacula: %t %e of %c %l\" %r"
>>>   operatorcommand = "/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f \"\(Bacula\) %r\" -s
>>> \"Bacula: Intervention needed for %j\" %r"
>>>   mail = thomas AT ic3s DOT de = all
>>>   mail = all-other-admins AT ic3s DOT de = warning, error, fatal, terminate
>> I have not read the documentation recently, but the above line tells me:
>> send any "warning, error, fatal, terminate" messages to
>> all-other-admins AT ic3s DOT de which is exactly what it is doing.
>>
>> NOTE: message != email.
>>
>>>   operator = all-admins AT ic3s DOT de = mount
>>>   console = all, !skipped, !saved
>>>   catalog = all
>>>   append = "/var/lib/bacula/log" = all #, !skipped
>>> }
>>>
>>> after the catalog backup i run an admin job which rsyncs and than
>>> deletes the catalog backup.
>>> due to a (self made) problem this evening the admin job fails.
>>>
>>> bacula sends two emails, one for me (thomas AT ic3s DOT de):

>>> but all-other-admins get only this line in the mail

>>> why sends "warning, error, fatal, terminate" only the last line?
>> See above. If you want all the messages included in the email, add ALL.
>>
>>> i see the whole problem in the mail, my team mates have to look at the
>>> backup job log to see the real failure.
>>> can i change behaviour this by changing the configuration?
>> You have not stated it, but I *think* want you want to have happen is an
>> email sent to all-other-admins AT ic3s DOT de ONLY if the email contains a
>> "warning, error, fatal, terminate" message.
>>
>> Check the docs, I don't know how to do this myself.  But if the code
>> cannot do this, I suggest procmail may be of help.

 > the keywords warnig, error, fatal, ... only describe the message
level the persons get,
 > but why is the content different?

The content is different because you specified what messages you want to
appear in that email.  The setting in question does not say: send me an
email only if the LEVEL is above a certain setting.  It says: send me
any messages which are of these LEVELs.

Please consider this carefully: The email you receive contains messages.
  You specify what messages should appear in the email.  You are not
specifying that you want to be notified ONLY if errors occur, for example.

 > if i get a fatal message because of i get "all" messages
 > why i get more content/information in the mail than all-other-admins?
 > (they get the fatal message because of they get messages with level
"fatal")

Because you said *you* want ALL messages (NOTE: message != email).  An
email contains messages.  Do not confuse the two.

 > if i change all-other to level "all"
 > they will get all messages, including: backup of xxxx ok .....
 > thats not really what i want.

This is where procmail may help you.  Or perhaps someone else has a good
idea.