Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] volume management on a storage File

2008-12-08 12:20:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] volume management on a storage File
From: Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue AT calweb DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:18:02 -0800
Yeah, option 1.

We learned the hard way how its the all-or-nothing.  :-[  When that HD fills up the first thing that'll happen is a volume purge, loosing everything. Also we found breaking up the volumes helps with restoration when a catalog isn't available (avoids rescanning a huge file). From experience, limit your volume size to about 10%-15% of the HD capacity. IE, 1TB drive, volume size 100GB. And then set your max volume on the pool to ((HD space/volume space) - 1) so you don't need to worry about a full HD.