Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disabling compression for tape-destined jobs only

2008-05-26 13:14:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disabling compression for tape-destined jobs only
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 10:13:51 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Mon, 5/26/08, Tore Anderson <tore AT linpro DOT no> wrote:

> From: Tore Anderson <tore AT linpro DOT no>
> Subject: [Bacula-users] Disabling compression for tape-destined jobs only
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Date: Monday, May 26, 2008, 6:17 AM
> Hi.  I have a setup where I dump full backups to tape, and
> incremental/differential to disk.  I would like only to use
> software
> compression for the latter, as the tape drive is able to do
> it in
> hardware for full backups anyway, and I am counting on this
> to be
> significantly faster than the software compression.

I had same problem, the compression can only be specified in fileset option, I
believe in future version it may be allowed in device.

I ended up writing a perl script that creates all the config (dir, sd, fd)
files, I had to created two filesets the only difference was compression option.

> I have «compression=gzip» set in the FileSet, and it
> works fine.
> However it seems to come into play for full backups too, at
> least the
> emailed report reads:
>
>   Backup Level:           Full (upgraded from Incremental)
>   [...]
>   Software Compression:   28.2 %
>   [...]
>   Volume name(s):         000355L2 <-- this is a LTO3
> tape volume
>
> The FAQ says under «Why aren't my files compressed?»:
>
> > There are two kinds of compression. One is tape
> compression. This is
> > done by the tape drive hardware, and you either enable
> or disable it
> > with system tools such as mt. This compression works
> independently of
> > Bacula.
> >
> > Bacula also has compression code, which is normally
> used only when
> > backing up to file Volumes.
>
> The last sentence there seems to imply that using when
> using tapes,
> software compression will be disabled, but that doesn't
> appear to be the
> case.  How can I disable compression for backups destined
> for tape,
> while retaining it for backups destined for file storage?
>
> Related question:  Is it possible to disable software
> compression during
> backup completely, and instead do this as a post-processing
> job on the
> SD?  The SD is idle most of the day (when no backups are
> running), so I
> figure it would be more effective to have it do the
> compression then.
> That would give me speedier jobs, or so I hope.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Tore Anderson

Hemant Shah