Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting full and all subsequent incremental backups

2008-05-26 13:06:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting full and all subsequent incremental backups
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 10:06:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 5/25/08, Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de> wrote:

> From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting full and all subsequent incremental
> backups
> To: "baculausers" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> Date: Sunday, May 25, 2008, 3:55 PM
> Hi,
>
> 25.05.2008 19:37, Hemant Shah wrote:
> >

> > --- On Sun, 5/25/08, Arno Lehmann
> <al AT its-lehmann DOT de> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
> >> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting full and all
> subsequent incremental backups
> >> To: "baculausers"
> <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> >> Date: Sunday, May 25, 2008, 3:58 AM
> >> Hi,

> >> prune/delete a full backup and it's subsequent
> >> incremental backups?

> disk on
> >> 1st friday of the month, run incremental backup on
> other
> >> days. I only want to keep previous one month's
> backups
> >> on disk.
> backups of
> >> the first month.
> pools to 2
> >> months, but that will not remove all the backup
> jobs for
> >> the first month at same time.
> >>
> >> True. However, I think retention times and
> automatic
> >> pruning are the
> >> way to go.
> >>
> >> For disk setups, just create two pools - one for
> full, one
> >> for
> >> incremental backups.
> >
> >   Yes, I have one pool for full backups and one pool
> for incremental backups.
> >
> >> Use "Maximum volume jobs", "Volume
> use
> >> duration" or any othe other
> >> limiting directives to ensure only one run of
> backups goes
> >> to each volume.
> >>
> >> Set the retention times to a bit below 2 months -
> 58 days
> >> or something.
> >>
> >> Limit the number of volumes per pool, or
> pre-create the
> >> necessary volumes.
> >>

> >   I have set UseVolumeOnce to yes, so each client has
> its own volume. The volume name also contains timestamp.
> >

> >> Then, Bacula will automatically recycle the
> volumes. It
> >> will not
> >> automatically prune or even truncate the
> incremental
> >> volumes depending
> >> on the pruned full volumes, but it will recycle
> them when
> >> it needs them.
> >
> >   I do not want to recycle the volumes. I want to
> delete the files as the volume name contains timestamp.
>
> Well, you already know the script from C M Reinehr, so I
> think you've
> got everything you need. Now I don't understand
> what's missing - I
> suppose selecting which volumes to remove is the question.

  Yes. That was a good start, and I have modified it for my setup.

> If it is, I would query the catalog directly (or use
> bconsole), list
> all the jobs per client, select everything that's older
> than the
> latest two full backups, purge these jobs, and finally
> delete all
> volumes that are older than two backup cycles and don't
> have any jobs
> left.
>
> Sounds like a bit of work, but with some experimenting that
> should be
> possible. Direct SQL might be easier than using bconsole,
> but in case
> of a buggy script you'll end up in trouble... so I
> believe using
> bconsole might be more robust, but will require many more
> program
> calls, piping and parsing the output. A perfect job for
> perl, IMO :-)

  My volume label contains timestamp (YYYY-MM-DD-HH:MM:SS), so I can easily
sort it based on timestamp, but I was trying to figure out if there was a
bconsole command or a sample query I could use. Bacula has to figure it out to
see if the backup needs to be upgraded.

  I have already started on the perl script to work based on timestamps.

> Arno
>

> >> Arno

> Studio 2008.

> >> --