Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting full and all subsequent incremental backups

2008-05-25 04:59:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting full and all subsequent incremental backups
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 10:58:46 +0200
Hi,

25.05.2008 06:07, Hemant Shah wrote:
> Folks,
>
>   Is there a simple way/query in bacula to prune/delete a full backup and
> it's subsequent incremental backups?
>
> Here is what I am trying to do:
>
> I backup data to tape and disk.
>
> Run full backup to tape and then again to the disk on 1st friday of the
> month, run incremental backup on other days. I only want to keep previous one
> month's backups on disk.
>
> Example:
>   Backup first month to the disk
>   Backup second month to the disk
>   Before backing up third month delete all backups of the first month.
>
>   I have set retention period on the disk pools to 2 months, but that will
> not remove all the backup jobs for the first month at same time.

True. However, I think retention times and automatic pruning are the
way to go.

For disk setups, just create two pools - one for full, one for
incremental backups.

Use "Maximum volume jobs", "Volume use duration" or any othe other
limiting directives to ensure only one run of backups goes to each volume.

Set the retention times to a bit below 2 months - 58 days or something.

Limit the number of volumes per pool, or pre-create the necessary volumes.

Then, Bacula will automatically recycle the volumes. It will not
automatically prune or even truncate the incremental volumes depending
on the pruned full volumes, but it will recycle them when it needs them.

Arno

> Hemant Shah
> E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com

Arno Lehmann