Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] new setup of bacula - does it look right ?

2008-05-24 09:43:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] new setup of bacula - does it look right ?
From: "Mikael Kermorgant" <mikael.kermorgant AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 15:43:28 +0200
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Mikael Kermorgant
<mikael.kermorgant AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning a new setup of bacula and I hoped maybe someone would so
> kind as to have a look at it and share some thoughts about it.
>
> Technical details :
> * 4 servers to backup, more coming along the next years
> * 600 GB for a Full of all servers (uncompressed)
> * 30 GB for an incremental (uncompressed)
> * solution has to work 5 years => plan at least for 3x this amount of data
>
> Goals :
> * Keep at least 2 month of backup (3 fulls job retention, each on 1st
> sun. of each month, 4 differentials, 5 incrementals)
> * Minimize human interaction with tapes => requires an autoloader
> * Take a full backup off-site periodically (once a month, once a week,
> will vary)
> * Setup has to tolerate that off-site handling (tape extraction or
> input) is not rigorously done (ie one can forget to do manual tape
> rotation, bacula has to recycle some present volumes in the
> autoloader)

Hello,

I thought I could ask a simpler/broader question : what strategy
(schedule, pools) would you recommend to :
* have a fully automated setup
* keep the possibility to extract some tape to take them offsite

?

Thanks in advance,
--
Mikael Kermorgant