Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] new setup of bacula - does it look right ?

2008-05-23 12:51:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] new setup of bacula - does it look right ?
From: "Mikael Kermorgant" <mikael.kermorgant AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 18:51:27 +0200
Hello,

I'm planning a new setup of bacula and I hoped maybe someone would so
kind as to have a look at it and share some thoughts about it.
I tried to make it shorts but seems I failed, sorry :(

Technical details :
* 4 servers to backup, more coming along the next years
* 600 GB for a Full of all servers (uncompressed)
* 30 GB for an incremental (uncompressed)
* solution has to work 5 years => plan at least for 3x this amount of data

Goals :
* Keep at least 2 month of backup (3 fulls job retention, each on 1st
sun. of each month, 4 differentials, 5 incrementals)
* Minimize human interaction with tapes => requires an autoloader
* Take a full backup off-site periodically (once a month, once a week,
will vary)
* Setup has to tolerate that off-site handling (tape extraction or
input) is not rigorously done (ie one can forget to do manual tape
rotation, bacula has to recycle some present volumes in the
autoloader)

The simplest solution for me (given my knowledge of bacula limited to
disk based backups) would be to setup a disk based backup, adding a
tape drive to occasionally  take a full-backup and send it off site,
but I thought I should also study the full-tape alternative which
could be more affordable.
>>From some initial discussions with Dell, it seems the powervault 124T
autoloader would fit our needs (2 magazines of 8 LTO3 tapes each).

First thing I'd like to ask if there's some strategy documented
somewhere that would fit my needs (or if someone has one to share) ?

Here's what I'm planning
Run one Full on the first sunday of each month, and incrementals on
weekdays until next full backup.
One month of backups would fit in one magazine, so the offsite copy
would be the whole content of one magazine.

The numbers, based on 33% hardware compression
* For the Fulls, 600 GB x3 (x3 is for the future) = 1,8TB => 3 tapes
(with compression) (0 MB free)
* For the incrementals 30 GB x3 x 23 (mon-fri x 4 + 3 extras) = 2TB =>
4 tapes with compression (233 MB free)
=> a set of 7 tapes needed per month

Bacula's config :
Only one pool, 21 tapes => 21 volumes,
I'm not so sure how I can limit a set of 7 tapes to only contain one
full and the incrementals until the next full. Risk is that next Full
backup begins on the end of that set.

Simulation :

Month 1 : use magazine 1, set of tapes "A"
1st sunday : Full on Vol1       => 3 tapes
Following incrementals on Vol1  => 4 tapes

Month2 : use magazine 2, set of tapes "B"
1st sunday : Full on Vol2       => 3 tapes
2nd week of the month : rotate set "A" with a new one "C"
Following incrementals on Vol2  => 4 tapes

Month3 : use magazine 1, set of tapes "C"
1st sunday : Full on Vol3       => 3 tapes
2nd week of the month  : rotate unused magazine (set B) with the
offsite one (set A)
Following incrementals on Vol2  => 4 tapes

If we forget to rotate the content of the unused magazine, bacula
should simply recycle the oldest set of volumes.

Things could become more complicated if at some stage, we need more
than 8 tapes to backup one month. At that moment, I see these choices
:
* run 2 Full backups per month : First half of the month on one
magazine and second on the other
* buy new hardware

Does this setup sound good ?
Thanks in advance,