Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] LTO-4 performance?

2008-05-22 12:15:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 performance?
From: Alex Chekholko <chekh AT pcbi.upenn DOT edu>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:15:38 -0400
Hi all,

I searched the archives and found a thread on bacula-users from Dec07 with
subject "LTO-4 backup rates", and also a thread on bacula-devel from Sep07 with
subject "Bacula performance with a 64512 block size".

I just got a new IBM TS3310 with 3 LTO-4 SAS drives, and after my initial
Bacula setup, I'm getting ~23MB/s writing to the drive.

I have verified that the local disk is not the bottleneck as well as the actual
source (a SAN volume via 10gigE) as bonnie++ gets me numbers as high as
330MB/s.  I have also verified that I can write to all three drives at once
(~24MB/s each) and otherwise load the server (disk I/O, CPU) without affecting
the 23MB/s write rate.  It seems like writing to the tape drive is the
bottleneck.

Asking on another forum I got a suggestion to increas the "block size" and
"buffer size", but it is not clear to me how to do that with my hardware and
Bacula.

I see the "Maximum Network Buffer Size" directive, and I'll try testing the
performance with different values for that, but is there anything else I can
tweak?  Another thread I found in the archive suggests that the current default
buffer size is 64KB.

We were consistently getting ~60MB/s to our LTO-3 drives with older hardware
and Bacula, so I was hoping for ~120MB/s.

This isn't specifically a Bacula software problem, I'm getting ~23MB/s with
"btape fill".  This is Bacula 2.2.8 on CentOS 5.1 on an IBM x3650.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--
Alex Chekholko