Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring from disk volumes without catalogue

2008-05-21 12:51:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring from disk volumes without catalogue
From: Damian Brasher <db2 AT ecs.soton.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:51:00 +0100
Damian Brasher wrote:
 >John Drescher wrote:
>> Can I confirm that there is no automatic method, when using disk
>> volumes, to restore files from a Diff at the same time matching against
>> the corresponding FULL.  In other words, when I restore from a Diff can
>> Bacula automatically restore the associated FULL? This would appear only
>> to be an advantage only when using disk volumes.
>>

> Yes you can restore a diff and its full.

I guess it depends on your particular configuration and the selections
you make. I'm working from bat.

 >Sure, did you mean consecutively, FULL then Diff in two separate
 >operations, I wanted to know if a Diff restore can automatically invoke
 >the corresponding FULL restore...

I asked this as I have differing file number and file sizes after a test
restore,

when restoring from the most recent Diff 3121 files were reported as
restored and 200098935 Job Bytes restored. The restore directory
contains 1.8GB.

when restoring from the FULL, created on the 14th 53594 files were
reported as restored and 8799357516 Job Bytes restored. The restore
directory contains 5.5GB.

So I can only conclude that I need to run the FULL then Diff, which is
what I would do with tapes.

there is no real problem here, it's just a case of understanding the
restore process fully.

Damian