Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Regarding restore of Windows server 2003

2008-05-16 01:20:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Regarding restore of Windows server 2003
From: Troy Daniels <troy.daniels AT itouch.com DOT au>
To: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:20:58 +0800
Hi,

Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Hi Jens
>
> Jens Larsson schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Im running bacula-dir version 1.38.11.
>
> Did you thought about upgrading? there are a lot of enhancement in the
> new versions.

One of which is the ability to restore Windows backed up data to a Linux
box I believe :-D

Alternatively, You need to set Portable=Yes in your FileSet to achieve
this in version 1.38.11

However this has some downsides as detailed in the manual:

portable=yes|no
     If set to yes (default is no), the Bacula File daemon will backup
Win32 files in a portable format, but not all Win32 file attributes will
be saved and restored. By default, this option is set to no, which means
that on Win32 systems, the data will be backed up using Windows API
calls and on WinNT/2K/XP, all the security and ownership attributes will
be properly backed up (and restored). However this format is not
portable to other systems -- e.g. Unix, Win95/98/Me. When backing up
Unix systems, this option is ignored, and unless you have a specific
need to have portable backups, we recommend accept the default (no) so
that the maximum information concerning your files is saved.

Cheers,

Troy.