Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Full backup stalls- Dir inserting Attributes

2008-05-14 04:51:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Full backup stalls- Dir inserting Attributes
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:50:05 +0200
Hi,

11.05.2008 16:07, Phil Schwartz wrote:
> One of my full backups (which occurs weekly) has been stalling each time
> it's run.

How long has it been stalled? And does the catalog work in the background?

What you describe could be related to the new feature of batch
inserts, I think.

If that's the case, it simply takes some time for Bacula to insert all
the collected attributes into the real catalog after they were stored
in a temporary table.

You can check this by looking at what the catalog database does during
this time - for MySQL, 'mysqladmin processlist' is a good start.

If, when using batch inserts, the temporary table becomes unusable you
should get some error messages in the end. The temporary table can
break if the database servers temp space is too small, and it can
vanish if the database connection is closed after being idle for too
long. The latter can be prevented by setting a longer timeout calue in
the database configuration. (Note that this is all relevant for MySQL,
PostgreSQL works a bit different.)

The next step for you should be to simply wait longer and check what
the database does while the job is in state "Dir inserting Attributes".

Arno

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
www.its-lehmann.de