Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Storage Daemon and Compression Query

2008-05-09 10:15:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Storage Daemon and Compression Query
From: "Isaac D. Newton" <isaac AT isaac-newton.com DOT au>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 10:14:00 -0400 (EDT)
I am beginning my implementation of Bacula, there are a couple of things about
the way I would like to use Bacula that I need to clarify.  I have three
physical sites I would like to back up, each with their own storage, locally
machines will store bare metal restore info but I would like to duplicate
mission critical data between a specific spare site for each site for Disaster
Recovery. ie.  site1 > site1 & site 2 , site2 > site2 & site3 , site3 > site3 &
site1

1.  I would like to use FDs' and SDs' in physically separate sites, connected
via DSL VPN, is it possible to backup data to a remote site that doesn't host a
Dir, only FD and SD.

2.  If you use compression, which component actually compresses the data, does
the Director actually compress the data, as I would like the local machine to
compress the data before transfer or if for local storage on a remote machine
to the Director will the local machine do the compression.

Thank's Heaps

Isaac Newton