Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Auto upgrade clients.

2008-05-08 10:24:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Auto upgrade clients.
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 08:24:28 -0600
On 5/8/08 7:05 AM, "Frank Sweetser" <fs AT WPI DOT EDU> wrote:

> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to solicit comments about an auto upgrade feature for clients.
>> The email message I have included below was sent to me nearly four years ago!
>> I have hesitated implementing a feature such as this because of security
>> concerns, but I think now is the time to start discussing it.
>>
>> The ideas in this email are very good.  However, I would like to implement
>> something possibly a bit more comprehensive.  The main considerations for me
>> are:
>
> Personally, I think that this kind of management should be considered outside
> the scope of Bacula.  Any decent modern operating system will already have
> some set of existing package management tools to handle most of these issues,
> which reduces the potential benefit of having Bacula duplicate the same
> functionality.

I would have to agree. Resources are already strapped enough for Bacula
development, no need to reinvent the wheel. Most of the machines we backup
are Windows servers which I already have tools in place to do upgrades.
Plus, Bacula is one of the most backwards compatible pieces of software that
I've seen. I say hit the top feature requests first (I'm waiting for a
couple of them myself).

Thanks for the great work and a great product!

--
Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences Computer Support