Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Auto upgrade clients.

2008-05-09 01:09:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Auto upgrade clients.
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 07:09:33 +0200
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo schrieb:
> Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com> writes:
>
>> However, it is something that is becoming critical -- I saw one user
>> report that he is backing up 10,000 server machines with Bacula -- can
>> you imagine the problems of upgrading the File daemons on those
>> machines!
>
> Upgrading them is not Bacula's job.  Software maintenance (installing,
> configuring, upgrading and patching) is a whole separate kettle of fish,
> and there are good tools out there to help you do it.

i agree with that. i don't think it should be baculas job to upgrade
itself. With every linux distribution you get a package manager and with
Windows, if you have a large distribution, you have also a
package-management. And if you don't have a lot of windows boxes you can
also get it done with psexec and silent-install switches for the setup
or maybe create your own simple MSI packages (look for Installer2Go
freeware).

- Thomas