Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume purged, why?

2008-05-04 01:22:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume purged, why?
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: sporkman <spork AT bway DOT net>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 01:22:21 -0400
>  Grepping around and removing anything with a comment in front of it, I get
>  this:
>
>  bacula-dir.conf:  Volume Retention = 365 days         # one year
>  bacula-dir.conf:  Volume Retention =  2 years        # one year
>  bacula-dir.conf:  Volume Retention =  3 months         # one month
>  bacula-dir.conf:  Volume Retention = 1 month           # 5 days
>
>  Those are all from my pool definitions.
>
>  Either something broke or I am losing my mind...

I see from your first post that the volume retention period is 356
days (or 31536000 seconds) for the volumes you listed.

Now looking at the manual. Specifically here
http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

I read this "When all files are pruned from a Volume (i.e. no records
in the catalog), the Volume will be marked as Purged implying that no
Jobs remain on the volume. The Pool records that control the pruning
are described below."

I believe that this is what the other poster was hitting on. The
defaults for file and job retention are less than 1 year (if not set)
so eventually all files will be pruned from the volume. When bacula
detects this it will mark the volume  as Purged.

John